07/09/2013

Are new Space Marines shiny enough ?

Let's be clear : this won't be another all Games Workshop hate post. I jus't won't buy the all new Space Marines Codex.

I'm a Dark Angels player, enjoying GW games since 2002. I started with Warhammer and started 40k one year after. 

I enjoy 40k and Space Marines. I played SMC(v3), Necrons(v4), Tau(v4), Dark Angels(v4), Space Marines(v5) and finally came back to my first love with 40kv6 : Dark Angels.

When I saw the new SM minis, I cried tears of joy ! The Vets sprues are what I dreamed about since I played. They avec good postures, helmets and armors are awesome, we get all the guns options... But I won't buy anything. [Cymbals !]

My working place.
On the picture, you can see a red coach. Which is completly full of 40k minis... All unpainted. And the black one under is full of non 40k minis. All un painted too. I think that's two good reason.

The other reason is I won't race for the top anymore.

The new codex contains new guns. New units. All new and shiny. All new and SO FREAKING POWERFULL ! Space Marines will be the army to be played for the next month. Many will buy it, mount it and play it. -I didn't say paint it, too hard-

During my last tournament, I met three gamers type : 
  1. only here to win (ready to cheat)
  2. wanna be a player (unpainted army) 
  3. "cool bro, it's only a game"
Gamers like #1 and #2 will buy this damn new codex, play a cheesy army and feel like the king of the world. I will stay with my Dark Angels, play an army with tactical squads, assault marines and so on. And it won't be an army to win at any price, it'll be an army to have pleasure with !

Forget players 1 and 2, they won't understand. I had a fantastic game with #3. We both were fighting... for the last place ! We wanted it !

But we didn't play crap. We both had good but cool armies, fully painted, and we throw everything we had in battle to win this fight. If you don't offer a challenge, where's the pleasure ?

It gave me another point of view : we can play for pleasure, for the game, for both of us. This is why I'll keep playing Dark Angels, the army I dreamed to play since I saw a Deathwing terminator on a Space Hulk box.

2 comments:

  1. I love the paint job on your army. Could you do a paint tutorial? I'm curious if you airbrush your units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It took me three years to find it.

    I never used an airbrush to paint any model in this army. Only working with a good old paintbrush.

    And I'll try to prepare a real tutorial.

    ReplyDelete